Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Movie(s) of the Month...Pride & Prejudice and Jane Eyre

You got me. I'm a hopeless romantic. I mean come on. I even unlocked the "Hopeless Romantic" sticker on GetGlue from "checking" into so many romance books, TV shows, and movies. *Note: Click on the GetGlue for my blog post about this awesome social media medium. I can't help it, I'm a sucker for love stories. I'm an even bigger sucker for historical or period love stories. That being said, I'm a bigger sucker for classic love stories. My two favorite stories being Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. Not only are these two books I could read forever and ever, but I also read any and all retellings, sequels, and prequels of these books I can get my hands on.  But I'm not going to talk about the book versions of these stories.  And though there have been many feature films and made-for-TV-movies, I will only be talking about the two that, in my opinion, are the absolute best - and happen to be the most recently made.  Yes, you do have to get past some of the Old English language if you aren't used to it, but trust me, it is absolutely worth it.  I dare you to count how many times I say "love" in this post ;)

Pride & Prejudice (2005)
So first I will talk about my most favorite movie of all time: Pride & Prejudice. I know some people think its odd that a person as obsessed with movies as I am can have a favorite, but to me there is no question about it. Based, as I mentioned, on the Jane Austen novel and released in 2005 by Focus Features and directed by Joe Wright, stars Keira Knightley as the spirited Elizabeth Bennett who meets the single, rich, and proud Mr. Darcy, played by Matthew Macfadyen. Set in the 19th century, the story is based on Jane Austen's novel about five sisters - Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty and Lydia Bennet - in Georgian England. Their lives are turned upside down when a wealthy young man (Mr. Bingley) and his best friend (Mr. Darcy) arrive in their neighborhood. The film was nominated for four Academy Awards in 2006: Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Original Score, and Best Actress for Keira Knightley. Even the film's U.S. ending was ranked as one Entertainment Weekly's greatest movie endings of all time - we are special and get a special ending, which I also love. This is one of the greatest love stories of all-time, and will leave any girl watching, wanting their very own Mr. Darcy.


*Also see my blog post on my fave aforementioned three teaming up again - I Can't Wait For...Anna Karenina

Jane Eyre (2011)
Also released by Focus Features, Jane Eyre was released only earlier this year and stars Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) as Jane and Michael Fassbender (300, Inglourious Basterds) as Rochester, and is directed by the young Cary Fukunaga, who definitely added a bit of a modernization to the classic, which I love. As I mentioned previously, the novel was written by Charlotte Brontë, sister of Emily Brontë who wrote Wuthering Heights. The story is about a poor and plain governess who softens the heart of her cold employer. Jane and Rochester grow close in friendship and she finds herself falling in love with him, but she soon discovers that he is hiding a terrible secret. Because of its recent release, they film has yet to be nominated for any awards, but I do not doubt it winning a few here and there. It seems movies made from classics like these, never get the attention they sometimes so deserve. And need I really say anymore after mentioning Fassbender? I think not. And having him play Rochester? Oh my goodness. Rochester has some of the best quotes in the book which are accurately scripted into the movie. Perfection *sigh*. This movie just came out on DVD last week so you must run out and buy both ASAP!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Pride and Prejudice. It's hands down one of my favorite books. I've only read it twice and each time I finish I wish I could just pick it up again. I do like the movies, but just as it usually goes with book-to-movie adaptations for me, the movie can't compare.

    Of course, I did love the movie and it's a much quicker way to quench my thirst for Pride and Prejudice than reading it again... :) I remember only having one complaint of this movie - the ending where she walks out in the early morning and he's walking toward her. It's weird enough that one of them is out, but that they're BOTH just out and about early in the morning..? However, I'm willing to look past it, because it is such a brilliant shot!

    I haven't seen Jane Eyre or read it, but it's now scooched up on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you love the some of the camera work in P&P, I'm pretty sure that you will love it in JE. The director did a great job at using natural lighting with only candles and using shadows in the shots. Very awesome.
    I agree, you can't beat the book when it comes to Pride & Prejudice, but out of all the adaptations made, this one was by far my fave.

    ReplyDelete