Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

GetGlue'd

I am a huge fan of social media, especially when it has to do with entertainment (i.e. my favorites being of course movies and television).  That being said, I am currently absolutely in love with GetGlue. I had the app added to my iPod Touch a long time ago, but because I could only use the app with wireless internet, I had kind of forgot about it. Then I found the app for my Blackberry, and dun dun dun dun, I have become addicted.

GetGlue is a service that helps you find your next favorite movie, book, music album or other every day things, and like Foursquare, "check-in" to those things, like Facebook, "like" or "dislike" those things, and like Twitter, follow people, have followers, and find out what they are interested in.

The unique aspect of GetGlue is their stickers. As you do certain things on GetGlue you will be rewarded with a variety of stickers for your efforts or achievements. They're a cool way for you to display to other Glue-ers what kinds of entertainment you like. Some stickers are unlocked once and stay on your profile forever, others are unlocked for a specific period of time. While it is clear how you can unlock some stickers, others are a bit mysterious and require you to figure out how to unlock them on your own. Some stickers can only be unlocked by checking-in on a specific day during a specific time - these stickers are limited and exclusive and will not be available outside of this window.1

What is so awesome about these stickers is that they can be redeemed on your stickers page for actual stickers!

What's also cool about GetGlue, and is a bit similar to Foursquare's "Mayorships", is a the title of Guru. GetGlue identifies users that are especially passionate about specific books, movies, music and more by awarding them the title of Guru. The Guru title is awarded to the individual who has the richest level of interaction for the given item, based on a point system that is described below. Each item can only have one Guru, so you’ll need to work for the honor, and be vigilant: other eager users can steal the title from you at any time!2

As I stated, I use both the iPod Touch app, the Blackberry app, and the web page for GetGlue, but there are many other apps available depending on your mobile phone.

I cannot wait to get my stickers mailed to me! This new service is in a tie right now with Twitter for me...and that is saying something!

1&2: From GetGlue website

No comments:

Post a Comment